In the last few years, the world of digital entertainment has changed quite a lot due to the advent of streaming devices like Nvidia Shield. Not only devices, remotes of these devices are also very sophisticated with features such as a microphone for voice search and commands, Bluetooth connectivity, IR blaster for control of volume and power on TVs, soundbars, or receivers, etc. However, despite all features, Nvidia Shield Remote is still not completely flawless. In this post, we will discuss why Nvidia Shield Remote is not working and how to fix it.
Common Problems with the Nvidia Shield Remote
There is no doubt that shield is an awesome media streamer designed by using technological aids. Similarly, its remote is also very sophisticated and generally problem-free. However, there are a few issues here and there which can cause trouble for the users. Given below is the list of some of the most common problems with the Nvidia Shield Remote reported by a lot of users.
- Nvidia Shield Remote not working on TV
- Remote not working on Nvidia Shield Pro
- My Nvidia Shield remote seems laggy
- Nvidia Shield remote battery keeps draining
- Nvidia Shield stopped working all of sudden
- CR2032 batteries not working on Nvidia Shield Remote
- Nvidia Shield Remote batteries not working
- Nvidia Shield Remote not pairing with the TV
- Not able to Reset Nvidia Shield Remote
- Nvidia Shield Remote is slow to respond
- I lost my Nvidia Shield Remote – What to do?
- Nvidia Shield Remote not working after update
We have tried to list out all the possible errors and issues with Nvidia Shield Remote. However, it doesn’t mean that these are the only issues that you might have to face while using the Shield Remote. In fact, there are various other problems that can hinder the workflow of Nvidia Shield Remote users. Luckily, it is quite simple to get rid of most of the Nvidia Shield Remote issues if we can find out the exact reason behind problems.
Why is your Nvidia Shield Remote not working
To resolve an Nvidia Shield remote problem, it is necessary for you to identify the root cause due to which an error is occurring. Given below is a compiled list of factors due to which problems in Nvidia Shield Remote can occur.
- The battery of your Nvidia Shield Remote is weak: As we all know, the shield remote works on batteries. In case your remote is running out of batteries then you will have to face problems in using the same.
- Outdated firmware: Having the latest firmware installed is very important for Nvidia Shield remote to work flawlessly. In case you are using an obsolete firmware then it is a chance that your remote might not work.
- Connectivity interference: Noisy connection is also a factor due to which Nvidia Shield Remote underperform. Problems in USB connection, HDMI connections, etc. are quite common reasons for Nvidia Shield Remote issues.
- Your Remote is not paired: Well, it is obvious that you have to pair your remote with the device in order to use it properly. In case the remote you are using is not paired then the device will not respond to your command.
- Internet router proximity: In case your internet router and shield are too close or too far then you may find it difficult to use Nvidia Shield remote with ease.
- Your Nvidia Shield might be in sleep mode: Sometimes, Nvidia Shield can get stuck in sleep mode. In this situation, the remote will not work properly.
Fix Nvidia Shield Remote that is not working
In order to fix your Nvidia Shield Remote, you have to eliminate the factors due to which your remote might not be working properly. We have listed some general solutions that you can try one by one to fix your remote. Please note that these steps are progressive, it means you should move on to the next step only if the previous step doesn’t help you fix the problem.
1st Solution – Check your battery
The first and foremost thing that you need to do is to confirm that your remote has batteries. In order to check this, you have to long-press the select button on your remote for 3 seconds. You should be able to see a blue light blinking on your remote. This is the indication that your remote is working fine. If you can’t see a blue light blinking then the battery of your remote is weak.
You may try to reinsert batteries to see if this resolves the problem. Otherwise, you have to replace them with new ones. Please be very careful while removing batteries from the battery tray.
2nd Solution – Make sure that the latest firmware is updated on your device
You need to ensure that the latest firmware for the Shield remote is updated on your device. In order to do that you have to follow the steps mentioned below.
- First of all, you need to go to “Settings” and select “Remote & Accessories”.
- In the next step, you must choose “Shield Accessories”.
- After that, you need to select “Shield Remote” from the list of Accessories.
- Finally, select the “Update Firmware” option to save the changes.
3rd Solution – Check connectivity interference
Other factors that often result in problems with Nvidia Shield Remote are noisy HDMI Cables, USB Cable, Hub, or drive interference. You should ensure that all connections are proper. If anything is plugged into the USB drive, you should follow the steps listed below.
- First, go to settings and choose “USB Mode”.
- Then, select the option to set it to compatibility mode.
4th Solution – Check Internet router proximity
It is always advised that you must place a router more than 4 feet away from Nvidia Shield. To confirm proximity is not the reason due to which Nvidia Shield is not working, you should keep the remote around 1 foot away from the Nvidia Shield TV and use it. At the same time, ensure that your TV is not in sleep mode. In case the TV is in sleep mode, you may unplug the power cord and plug it back it.
5th Solution – Ensure that your remote is paired with the TV
Perfect is pairing is also very important for the Nvidia Shield remote to work properly. You may opt for automatic pairing or manual pairing in order to pair your Nvidia Shield remote to operate properly with the TV.
6th Solution – Reset Nvidia Shield Remote
In case none of the above steps help you fix the problem then we recommend you reset Nvidia Shield Remote. The step by step process is as follows.
- Press and hold the back button and the home button together for around 15 seconds. Doing this will hard reset your remote.
- Then, you need to go to settings and choose “Apps”.
- Next, go to “System apps” and select “Bluetooth”.
- Force stop the Bluetooth app. Also, you should clear the cache and data.
- Restart the Nvidia shield.
- Finally, you have to pair the Nvidia Shield Remote once again.
Turn your Smartphone into Nvidia Shield Remote
In case you have lost your Shield Remote then you can make your smartphone work like an Nvidia Shield Remote. Check out the steps below.
- Firstly, you need to run Google Play Store on your Android devices.
- Then search for Nvidia Shield TV application or Nvidia Shield TV Remote.
- Install any of the apps mentioned below and wait for the process to get complete.
- Open the installed application and click “Continue”.
- You should also ensure that your smartphone is connected to the same internet WiFi router as your Nvidia Shield TV.
- Now, the version of your Shield TV will appear on your screen. Click on the version to get a code on your TV.
- Enter the same code on your android device and click “Enter”.
- Wait for the connection confirmation message. You may easily use your smartphone as Nvidia Shield remote once the confirmation message appears.
Nvidia Shield Remote’s Battery keeps dying – Tips and Tricks
One of the advantages of Nvidia Shield Remote it has an inbuilt energy-saving sleep function. You can use this function to save battery life.
Make sure you put down the remote while watching a movie through Shield TV. Holding the remote will not let it go to sleep mode. Hence, the energy will not be saved. Putting down the remote enables the sleep mode and eliminate the requirement of replacing batteries.
Some Hidden Features of Nvidia Shield Remote
Check out the following table to know about the various less-known features of your Nvidia Shield Remote.
|Buttons and keys||Features|
|Hold the back button from home screen||Sleep NowRestartPower Off (Shield 2015 or Shield Pro Only)|
|Double Tapping the volume slider||To activate “Play/ Pause”|
|Press and hold “Home” button||Opening the share menu to Save screenshotsStream to twitchRecord gameplay|
|Double tapping the home button||Opening to picture in picture/ task switcher menu to Switch between recently opened appsToggle full screen viewing from picture in pictureClose open apps|
|Press and hold the “Select” button||Open context menu for more options|