Roku is a streaming device that offers you content including shows, movies, music, etc. from the Internet to your TV. It connects to the Internet in the same way as your computer and fetches the data you want to see. There are three types of Roku devices available i.e. Roku box, Roku Streaming Stick, Roku Tv. To use a Roku player you need to activate the same through its website. Activating Roku can be a bit difficult if you don’t know how to do this. In this post, we will show you how to activate Roku in an easy manner.
Roku Device Specifications
It is advised that you should know the Roku device you are using before activating the same. We have provided specifications of some of the Roku devices in the table given below.
|Particular||Roku Express||Roke Premiere||4K Roku TV|
|Code Name||Nemo||Gilbert 4k||Longview|
|CPU||ARM Cortex A53||ARM Cortex A53||ARM dual core 1.2 GHz|
|Accelerated Graphics API||OpenGL ES 2.0||OpenGL ES 2.0||OpenGL ES 2.0|
|RAM||512 MB||1 GB||1 GB|
|Max UI Resolution||720p||1080p||1920 x 1080|
|Max Playback Resolution||1080p||4k60fps, HDR||3840 x 2160|
|HDR Support||No||HDR10||HDR10 and/ or Dolby vision supported by model|
How to Activate Roku?
- First of all, make sure you follow the quick start guide that came with your Roku device.
- Next, you need to complete the on-screen instructions to connect your Roku device with the Internet. You may download the new software once your Roku device gets connected.
- Then, a link code will be shown on your screen by your Roku device for example – XD12G.
- You have to note down this code and visit the following website i.e. roku.com/link through your mobile device or your computer.
Note: Please note that you are not making any typing mistake while entering the website URL.
- After opening the website, you need to enter the link code and click on the “Submit” button.
Important Point: Please note that you have to complete all the steps on the website before going back to your Roku. Otherwise, your Roku device will not be activated.
- Follow the instructions that will appear on the website and create a Roku account. Instead, you may sign-in to your existing Roku account.
- At the time of creating a new Roku account, you will be asked to choose a payment method. This payment method will allow you to buy subscriptions to popular channels, rent or buy movies and TV shows, or make other purchases from the Roku Channel Store.
- Once the activation process gets complete, your Roku device will be ready to use.
How to fix various issues at the time of Roku TV Activation?
Solutions to some of the issues that you can face while activating Roke are as follows.
Roku Activation Code Not Working
It is true that activating Roku is a fairly simple process. However, there are some problems that can cause Roku to malfunction at the time of activation. Here are the steps that you can follow in order to fix some of the most common Roku Activation problems.
An error message is appearing when I am entering the Roku Activation Code on the Website
In order to fix the error message, you should follow the steps listed below.
- When you see an error message for the first time you should try to enter the code from more time.
- Make sure you are not making any typing mistake while entering the code.
- Ensure that there is no temporary network error or system error.
- If the above steps don’t resolve the problem, you should check out the following steps.
- Firstly, go to your Roku device. Press the “Star” button available on your remote.
- Next, you need to choose the “Get a new code” button.
- After that, once the new link code appears, you need to visit the roku.com/link website and enter the new code.
I entered the link code but my Roku device is stuck on the link code screen
Many a time, you may have to face a problem when it may take a lot of time for completing the activation process. So, It is better that you wait for a few minutes before opting for different troubleshooting methods. In case the Roku device continues to show a screen with the link code then you should try the following steps.
- First of all, ensure that you have completed all the steps to activate Roku device as mentioned above in this post.
- In case the error messages such as “Error 001”, “not connected” are still occurring in the upper right corner of the TV screen then it means that your Roku device is not connected to the Internet. In this situation, you need to click on the “Try again” button.
- If the network problem continues for a long time then you should try the following troubleshooting measures.
- Make sure you are selecting the correct connection name while choosing the network connection.
- If you believe that you have selected the right network connection then you must enter the password correctly.
- Check and confirm that your router is working flawlessly. In case there is a problem with your router then you should contact your Internet service provider.
- It is also possible that your Roku device might not be able to connect to the internet because of weak signal strength. Make sure that your Roku device is not too far from the router. Also, you need to make ensure that there is no obstacle between your router and Roku device such as walls, cabinets, etc.
- Restart the Roku player and router to see if this resolves the problem. To restart, click on “Settings” followed by “System” and “System Restart”. You may also unplug the Roku device from the power source, wait a few moments, and then connect it back again. In order to restart your browser, you must check the instructions from your ISP or router vendor. In some cases, you may require to press the reset button on the device. In other cases, you may simple unplug it and plug it back again
Note: It may take a few moments for both devices to restart completely.
Solutions to some common Roku Error Codes
There are a few error codes that can appear when you use your Roku device. We have provided solutions to some of these error codes as given below.
- Roku Error Code 009: This error indicates that your device is connected to the router device but not connected to the Internet. Contact your ISP to fix the problem with your Internet. In case your computer has an internet connection then you should restart the Roku device.
- Error Code 012: This error is an indication of Ethernet related problem. You must verify that your Ethernet cable is securely connected to your Roku device and router. If possible you should check the connection with an Ethernet cable. In case the cable is good then you must restart your router and Roku player.
- Roku Error Code 14: This error occurs when there is a failure to connect to the wireless network. To fix this, you must ensure that you are selected the correct username and entering the right password.
- Roku Error Code 14.30: The simple step to fix this Roku issue is restarting both the router and the Roku device. When all the devices are powered on again, you may see if the error occurs once again. Use your Roku remote and go to “Settings” and choose “Network”. Next, select “Setup connection” and choose “Wireless”. Select your network and enter the network password and make sure it is entered correctly. Finally, choose “Connect” to proceed.
- Error Code 018: When the Roku device detects slow internet Error code 018 appears. It is easy to fix this problem. All you have to do is connect to a fast internet connection.
How to Factory Reset My Roku Streaming Device?
Many a time, wrong settings in the Roku device may result in various problems related to the Roku. In order to fix them, all you have to do is reset your Roku Streaming Device to the factory settings.
- Firstly, you need to click on the “Home” button available on your Roku remote.
- Then, scroll up or down and choose “Settings”.
- In the next step, you must select “System”.
- After that, you should select “Advanced System Settings” followed by “Factory Reset”.
- Next, you have to choose “Factory Reset Everything” and follow the rest of the on-screen instructions.
Note: You may also reset the Roku device by pressing the Pinhole button.