Alexa is a sophisticated virtual assistant developed by Amazon to help the users in doing many tasks such as basic commands, checking the weather, finding a recipe, listening to music among others. The best part about Alexa is that it can be integrated with many products by Amazon along with some other 3rd party devices. To put it simply, Alexa is like what “siri” is to Apple – female virtual assistance that can help you in doing certain tasks and answer the questions you ask. It can be used with devices such as- Amazon Echo, Echo Dot, Fire TV and many more.
Amazon Fire TV stick can easily be set up with Alexa voice remote where you only need to use your voice to command or interact with Alexa. For this, you must have a compatible Alexa enabled device. This post will serve as a guide to the users who want to know how to use Alexa on Fire TV stick. This way you can access certain features of Fire TV without using the remote.
Requirements for downloading Amazon Alexa app
The Alexa app can be downloaded for free from the Google play store, Apple app and Amazon app store. You can check the compatibility of Alexa with your device from below. Alexa app works perfectly with-
- Android 5.1 version or higher
- Fire OS 5.3.3 version or higher
- iOS 10.0 version or higher
- You simply can download the compatible version of Alexa for desktop from alexa.amazon.com
How to download Amazon Alexa?
In order to download Amazon Alexa, you need to go to the app store on your mobile phone and locate the Alexa app. Fire tablets where Alexa is enabled automatically download the app. Make sure to get the updated version of the app. If the app is not updated, then you must update it first before using Alexa on Fire TV stick.
Instructions for using Amazon Alexa on Fire TV
With Alexa on Fire TV, you can use the female virtual assistant to perform certain actions and browse through the content available on Amazon prime video or music. Here’s how you can use Alexa on Fire TV properly-
- A voice button will be available on the Amazon Fire TV voice remote or app.
- You need to press and hold that button and say whatever you want Alexa to do.
- Here an insight on how you can ask for information from Alexa-
- You can simply command Alexa “Alexa search for comedy movies” or “Alexa play rock music” or anything you like.
- You can also ask for information, news, weather, launch apps among others.
- Alexa communicates via Fire TV directly and many features are displayed on your TV display.
- To go back to the previous screen, you need to press the “back” or “home” button on your Fire TV stick in case Alexa display is open on your TV screen.
How to use Alexa to control Fire TV?
In case you have only one Fire TV registered to your Amazon account, Alexa usually automatically configures the linking. But if you have more than one Fire TV registered, then you need to pair the devices with Alexa. Here’s how to do that-
- Go to the menu and choose the “settings” option.
- Now select the “TV& Video” option followed by “Fire TV”.
- Simply follow the instructions displayed on your TV screen.
- Select “link devices” option to link multiple devices to your account.
You can also manage these linked devices through the “manage devices” option. To manage the devices, go to the settings and select “TV & Video”. Then you need to select the device you want to manage and select the “manage settings” option available next to the device.
Important things to consider
- Only one Alexa device can be used at a time to control Fire TV stick.
- In order to link Fire TV with Alexa, both must be registered to the same Amazon account.
- Sometimes you might need to add “on Fire TV” command while requesting Alexa to clarify what you’d like to stream on the Fire TV.
If you face any difficulty in using Alexa on Amazon Fire TV, then feel free to give us a call on the support number for more help and guidance. We would be happy to assist you in resolving your queries.